Skip to main content
Deploying Inclusive Technology software using Group Policy
The following instructions are based on Windows Server 2008.
- Log on to the server as an administrator.
- Create a shared network folder and copy the MSI file into the folder.
- Set permissions on the shared folder to allow all required users access to the MSI file.
- Open the Group Policy Management console.
- Right-click the OU containing the machines onto which you wish to install the software and select 'Create a GPO in this domain, and Link it here...'
- Type a name for this new policy (e.g. Matrix Maker GPO), and press ENTER.
- Right-click the new policy and select '..'
- Under 'Computer Configuration', expand 'Policies', then 'Software Settings'.
- Right-click 'Software installation', point to 'New', and then click 'Package'.
- In the Open window, browse to the MSI package that you want to deploy (e.g. \\file server\shared folder\MatrixMaker.msi) and click Open.
- Click 'Assigned', and then click OK. The package is listed in the right pane of the Group Policy Management Editor window.
- Close your Group Policy Management Console.
- Now open a command window and type 'gpudate /force' to update the Computer/User Policy.
- When the client computers are restarted, the managed software package is automatically installed.